Top 5 Healthy Breakfast Recipes
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and there’s a reason for it. Breakfast is essentially ‘breaking the fast’ after your body goes through nearly 10-12 hours of not consuming any food. Nutritionists often advise that breakfast should be eaten within two hours of waking and that a healthy breakfast must provide calories in the range of 20-35% of your guideline daily allowance.
So, why is breakfast so important?
“ Eating breakfast has long term health benefits. It can reduce obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.” - Natural Health Service
Breakfast foods are a great source of important nutrients such as calcium, iron, B vitamins, protein and fiber. These are the essential nutrients that your body needs to stay fit and healthy.
We know two things so far; that breakfast is important and that you probably don’t have enough time in the mornings to make yourself a healthy breakfast or even have any time to eat for that matter. So, we’ve put together a guide for quick, easy and healthy breakfast recipes for you to make at home.
The Healthy Breakfast Protein Punch
Simple is the new tasty. Top two toasted slices of whole-grain bread with smashed avocado, spinach and eggs and you’ve got yourself a well-rounded breakfast filled with protein.
Compete your breakfast with a cup of NATUREAL Revert Tea to kick off the day.
What you’ll need:
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread
- 1 avocado
- 2 eggs (boiled/poached/scrambled - the choice is yours)
- A handful of spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Toast the bread to your liking.
- Smash the avocado and spread it on the toasted slices of bread.
- Shallow fry the spinach for 2 minutes in a pan on the side.
- Place the spinach over the avocado slices and top it with eggs.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and chili flakes on top and serve.
The Healthy Drinkable Smoothie Breakfast
Can’t eat breakfast? Drink it!
Prep your fruit the night before and blend it together with coconut water, greek yogurt or Revert Tea before you head to work the next morning or if you have some extra time in the mornings during the lockdown, build yourself a fancy smoothie bowl topped with more fruit.
The more colourful your fruit options, the more vitamins for your body! Incorporating fruit in your daily breakfast helps boost metabolism, stimulates your digestive tract, boosts your immune system and helps for an alkaline environment in your body. Complement your daily intake of fruit with the NATUREAL Probiotic - Gut Health Supplement to give your body an extra boost of immunity.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup Mango
- 1 cup Banana
- 1 tbsp Spirulina
- 1 scoop NATUREAL Whey Protein Powder
- 3 oz. choice of milk: almond, coconut, rice, etc.
- Fruit of your choice
- Chia Seeds
- Turmeric Powder
- Blend all the smoothie ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Pour it into a bowl and top it with toppings of your choice.
The Humble And Healthy Oatmeal Bowl
An oldie but a goodie!
If you just whispered, “boring”, to yourself then you have been doing oatmeal the wrong way!
Give your bowl of oats some extra love every morning and doll it up with toppings like berries, peaches, raw nuts, seeds and a dash of raw honey and cinnamon. Nuts and seeds are high in dietary fiber and rich in protein, healthy fats, minerals and vitamins. They’re great for reducing risk of heart disease and assist in weight regulation.
Pair your morning oatmeal with a cup of NATUREAL Revert Tea, which is a wellness tea that aids in weight loss.
What you’ll need to make it:
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Toppings of choice: almonds, peanut butter, fresh fruit, raw nuts, etc.
- Combine the oats, milk, water, salt, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to low heat. Leave it to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until it thickens, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Drizzle with 1⁄2 teaspoon honey and add your toppings.
A Fermented Healthy Breakfast
Easy, delicious and high in protein, cottage cheese is a fantastic addition to your daily breakfast. Cottage cheese is high in protein, B vitamins, and minerals like calcium, selenium, and phosphorus. If you're looking to lose weight or build muscle, cottage cheese is among the most beneficial foods for you to try out.
Spread it on a slice of rye, flaxseed cracker or served on the side with eggs to give your body the healthy nutrients. Due to it being high in protein, it increases metabolism and produces feelings of fullness by decreasing the leaves of ghrelin, the hunger hormone.
Pair this morning breakfast with NATUREAL Body Cleanse Supplement, which also supports muscle and joint health and encourages a healthy appetite.
What you’ll need to make it:
- 1 slice 100% whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Mix together cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture on a toasted bread of your choice and top it off with cherry tomatoes and shredded basil.
- Finish off with a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy!
Healthy Breakfast Dessert Bar On The Go!
Bake your own granola bars at home that are healthy, rich in nutrients and have far less sugar than the store bought ones! Get started with oats, bananas, peanut butter and dried cranberries to start your day on a sweet note. This is especially a great option for those who can’t stomach missing their early morning oatmeal.
Peanut butter provides a rich base of healthy fats while bananas provide the natural sweetness and a shot of potassium.
Oats are fantastic in helping you lower your LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) and are one of the best resources of resistant starch (the type of carb that helps you shed the unwanted weight) in a healthy manner.
Limit yourself to a maximum of granola bars and whip up yourself a healthy protein shake with the NATUREAL Whey Protein Powder for a boost in metabolism, strength and healthy hair and nails.
What you’ll need to make it:
- 2 bananas ripe and mashed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cup oats rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup walnut halves/pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F and set aside a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
- Heat peanut butter, honey and vanilla for 30 seconds in a bowl and mash your bananas with a fork separately.
- Combine bananas and peanut butter mixture and stir, then add in the brown sugar and stir.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. If it’s too hard to stir, you can just fold the ingredients under and over with a spatula.
- Once everything is mixed well, spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish and flatten it out until it’s all evenly distributed.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into 20 bars once it’s completely cool.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy one every morning!
And voila! There you have it; 5 healthy breakfast recipes!
Whatever you choose from this list of ideas for tomorrow’s breakfast, make sure you’re pairing it with your daily intake of vitamins and supplements.
A healthy mind, body and soul is entirely up to you coupled with the daily lifestyle choices that you make for yourself. So, make sure you’re providing yourself with all the nourishment that you need and you’ll be able to to crush your wellness and fitness goals a whole lot faster!